Tuesday, September 17, 2013

More important than church

I have been in the working world since well before I turned 16. I have never missed a day to go to a ball game, to go to the river, to clean off my porch, to go hunting, to go fishing, to go shopping,to just sleep late, or just because I didn't feel like going. I have used all of these as excuses to not go to church. I have gone to work sick, I have gone to work tired. I have stayed out all night and drove to work and slept in the parking lot because I knew I wouldnt get up.
 I have heard stories of my grandmother holding a mirror under the nostrils of her kids and if they had enough breath to fog a mirror they were well enough for church. I have heard my grandfather tell that his dad stayed home and gave birth to him because my great grandmother had to go teach Sunday school. Ive heard folks talk about their drug problem. When they were younger their mother drug them to church.  As a child I remember there being very few Sundays we didnt go to church. I never remember not going because of the Super Bowl or because it was Summer.
What Im trying to say is church should be a priority. I never remember waking up on Sunday and asking my Mom if we were going to church anymore than I woke up on Monday morning and asking if we were going to work or school. This weekend I chose to stay home because we had started a project on Saturday and  we really wanted to finish. Since then I have felt guilty. I havent felt guilty because I didnt go to church. I dont think you get points for attendance. I feel guilty because to my kids I told them without words that finishing the back yard was more important than church. I know people who can go years without gracing the doors and feel as if they have a right relationship with God. For me my faith isnt that strong. I dont have that strong of faith to be able to feel the need not to attend church. I know folks who dont need church and for them thats great Im not that strong. I need to be around fellow believers. I need to hear the word. I need to sing songs in worship. I need to just be still and know that he is God. I also need my children to know that I am dependent on God and that God is a priority in my life. If God isnt a priority then he isnt God he is simply god. Its easy to make excuses to not go to church but if God is God that is the only excuse I need to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment